Dear Sam Houston Families,
I truly hope this email finds you and your family well.
Many of you share our concern regarding the safety and well being of our students and staff. School closures are never easy – and the fallout can have many ramifications from missed instruction, missed socialization lessons, and extracurricular activities, among other losses. With that in mind, we wanted to update you on the following concerns you may have:
1. Conroe ISD is tentatively closed until April 10th.
2. Our staff is working to transition some of our learning opportunities for remote access. This will include Canvas and other distance learning opportunities for those who do not have internet access readily available. Our staff understands that some homes who have internet may have limited devices and our goal is to not overwhelm parents or students – but to give students the opportunity to continue learning while physically away from campus. Details regarding these lessons will be shared later this week.
3. At this time, all school related events, practices, and meetings are cancelled. Also, we are not pulling report card grades until further notice. We will communicate how and when grades will be pulled for report cards when that decision is made.
4. Students receiving free and reduced lunch during the normal school day will have the opportunity to pick food items on Tuesday, March 17, from 10am – 1pm and on Thursday, March 19th, from 10am – 1pm. Each student in need will receive two breakfasts and two lunches on each pick-up day, until supplies run out. The locations for pick up in our area are either Washington Junior High or Conroe High School.
5. During the next few days your child’s teacher will be reaching out to you to gather information on the best way for your child to learn during this unprecedented time. If for some reason you don’t hear from your child’s teacher by the end of the day on Wednesday, please send them an email. The information that we have on file may be incorrect. Our staff and faculty, including counselors and administrators, are accessible via email this week. Please visit our school website if you need to contact a staff member by email.
There is nothing I wish more than to have all of our JETS back at school. We are developing new ways to reach our precious children to ensure that their academic growth continues. As we develop these new processes, please be patient with us as we are new to distance learning in the elementary setting as well. Please keep an eye out for further emails to update you as we receive further information.
Sam Houston Elementary, Principal