Hello Sam Houston Families,
I hope that you are all doing well!
The best way for students to remember the important school information they have learned this school year is to READ! Research has shown reading for 15 minutes a day helps children develop language and literacy skills as well as return the next school year better prepared. www.readaloud.org.
You are your childâs first and most important teacher. During your time together at home make a family goal to spend at least 15 minutes a day reading.
- Be at the ready to read. Keep a stack or container of books in a special place in your home, near the dining table, bathroom or in the car.
- Make reading a special time without the distractions of electronics. Characters and funny things that happen in books are great ways to share conversations with your children. Also, remember to talk about your day and what you are reading.
- Plan a project using a book, or packaging. For example, follow a recipe to bake a cake, find a pattern to build something or directions to create something.
- Encourage your child with literacy activities that include writing, telling, drawing or acting out their own stories! Be creative and have fun.
Free online educational activities include:
- Public Library Resources for Kids inlcude Tumble Books (read aloud stories), PBS Kids (educational games), Sprout (educational games and childrenâs TV).
- Wilbooks (Spanish and English PreK â 3 rd grade e-books). This site sells books. Click on the free online
I plan to update this list periodically. If you have feedback or questions, please send me an e-mail!
Sam Houston Librarian/Media Specialist, Catherine Pells, email@example.com.